Friday 8 November 2013

Flashback: Michaelmas Column 7

Complete issue can be found here: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/assets/downloads/TCS_Volume14_Michaelmas_Issue7.pdf

Ah, week five. How good it was to have you here, however brie fly. A friend described you quite philosophically as the ‘ultimate leveller’. ‘How so?’ I queried. ‘Well,’ she replied, ‘it just means that everyone is about as cynical as me, for one week only.'

It’s always nice to hear people welcoming a bit of cynicism into their lives. Go on. Live wild. Do it. The Oxford English Dictionary (obviously my first port of call for anything which calls for a de finition) informs me that to be cynical is ‘resembling the Cynic philosophers in contempt of pleasure, churlishness, or disposition to find fault; characteristic of a cynic; surly, currish, misanthropic, captious; disposed to disbelieve in human sincerity or goodness; sneering’.

I’m now tempted to trawl Wikipedia and the darker ravages of Google to find out what a Cynic philosopher is, but I’m on a time deadline with this column as I accidentally took a twelve hour disco nap yesterday from five in the afternoon just before circuits until five forty-three this morning when my alarm alerted me to the fact that my presence was required on the Cam, so I’m just going to leave it. You can look it up for yourselves. at’s independent learning right there, folks. That’s what you’re here for.

Anyway, sorry, back to being cynical. I think it’s good for you, injecting some cynicism – mainly because it makes the sunshine of optimism all the sweeter when experienced a fterwards. Human sincerity? Pah. I spit on it. All these blooming, darling Freshers, with their open faces and earnest vows of hard work – now is the winter of our discontent in the a ftermath of week five, now is the time to realise that cynicism will sneer with you at the missed opportunities of the previous weeks, will help you along the way in the next two thirty a.m. heartbreak, will lead you to a place of misanthropy.

Think of it as a chrysalis. You will emerge from cynicism’s cocoon to the bright lights and beautiful world of the almost-end of term, revitalised by those hours spent ignoring others’ happiness and instead mainlining four episodes of ‘Merlin’ on your own in your room and eating your weight in A fter Eights. My tenth week five has been spent much as my all my others – heartbreak, chocolate, running. Alone, and better for it. Don’t in flict yourself on others when like this; it is better for this introspection to be carried out when the cynic in you can yell in full ow, bothering no one else. Ideally at 3am I the morning, fuelled by some wine.

Cry not for me, though, Argentina. I take cynicism with me wherever I am – and even into week 6, following the OED’s last de finition of cynical: ‘With etymological allusion: Relating to a dog; dog-like’. I think my disco nap might have rotted my brain, but I think it’s trying to tell me to take a new brand of enthusiastic cynicism into the coming weeks. It sounds oxymoronic but I think, like Tim Gunn always tells me, that I can make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment