Thursday 17 July 2014

(5) Days of Summer


Full article can be found here: http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/features/0032734-5-days-of-summer.html

I receive my Finals results and they’re not good. I find myself a job in Finland, some backwater town where there’s a summer school teaching Russian kids English. It’s sunny, all day, almost all night too, and the college we teach at backs onto a river. There’s a pier. I spend most of my first two weeks gloriously tanning there, reading my way through my new Kindle, after we finish teaching at 2pm. I go swimming in the river and can tell when I should go home by watching the sun dwindle down over the bridge.

Later, we re-enact the American Civil War with children, get drunk off vodka the teenage students provide for us, and begin surviving only off rye bread and black coffee as all the other food provided is just too Russian. But the best part is always The Vaccines in my ears,How to be a Woman on my screen, and my sun soaked skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment