Monday 17 August 2015

Pullups - prepare to be decimated

One of the things that I try to include in my exercise ~*~*~philosophy~*~*~ is that you should do stuff you don't like because you are probably bad at it. Yep, I'm all about stating the obvious here.


That's why I like CrossFit and have a super love/hate relationship with Wodify (which tells you the workout before you arrive at the box). In one way I quite like it, because I can look up the exercises while I'm having breakfast and go through everything and make sure I mainly understand things by watching tutorials on YouTube (the at-home learner's friend for everything) but I do frequently see things in the WOD that I just think, 'nahhhhh I don't like that' and/or 'nahhhhh I'm rubbish at that'. Frequently those things coincide. The list of things I dislike most:

Hollow body rocks
Anything involving an overhead squat (I just can't do all the things)
Anything involving my weaselly insectlike upper limbs having to do anything (my upper body strength is <0)




That's actually quite a lot of stuff when I think about it.

Today however I managed to thoroughly embarrass myself in a workout that involved pullups. I have hated pullups for years as APPARENTLY all swimmers and rowers should be able to do them. I am the only swimmer and rower that can't, according to various strength coaches over the years. I had to have two bands on the rig that I could stand on and lovely Coach Lee had to boost me up too.





Isn't it, Chris Pratt. Isn't it just.

So from now on every time I go to CrossFit I'm going to make the effort after the class to do some pullup drills because I'll be damned if I'll be so embarrassed again by my weakness.* And I'll be keeping a record on here, so I can track if I'm getting any better...

*NB reserve me a space in hell, because I embarrass myself all the time and I definitely will embarrass myself at CrossFit again because of my insect limbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment